Due to the current emergency Coronavirus (Covid-19) situation, the Town Council offices are now closed.
For burials only, please call the Cemeteries Manager on 07779 090842
Information on Cemeteries
Following clarification from the Ministry of Justice under Section 5 (8) of the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 cemeteries will be closed for the preparation of burials and maintenance of the site.
In order to manage social distancing and further protect our staff, Stephenson Way Cemetery and West Cemetery are now being used as a base for our Works Section employees.
On this basis it is estimated that Stephenson Way and West Cemetery will be closed between 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
Pedestrian access is permitted outside of these times on evenings and weekends.
When visiting the cemetery, the public are requested to adhere to current social distancing rules and hand washing and sanitising advice.
Guidance for funerals
Public Health England (PHE) has issued further guidance for those managing or organising funerals during the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. The guidance aims to ensure that bereaved people are treated with sensitivity, dignity and respect, while protecting individuals, communities and those in the funeral industry from the risk of infection.
The advice includes:
- those who have symptoms of coronavirus COVID-19 must not attend and must stay at home
- limiting the numbers in attendance to as low as possible to ensure safe social distancing. Only the following should attend, alongside the Funeral Director and funeral staff:
- members of the person’s household
- immediate family
- or if the above are unable to attend, close friends
- Celebrant or Minister of choice, should the bereaved request this.
- observing social distancing guidance across all aspects of attending a funeral
- people who are extremely clinically vulnerable (shielded) can attend with measures put in place to reduce their risk
- people self-isolating because someone in their household is ill may attend if they do not have symptoms themselves
Great Aycliffe Town Council is responsible for the management and maintenance of Stephenson Way Cemetery and West Cemetery.
The Council is keen to ensure that the needs of mourners and visitors to the cemeteries are catered for as sympathetically as possible.
Serious consideration has been given to the immediate and long term needs of mourners and visitors and also to the day to day and long term management and maintenance implications for the sites. Detailed rules and regulations have been prepared following consultation with the public, funeral directors and members of the clergy. Please read our Cemetery Regulations 2020 booklet.