Register to Vote, Becoming a Councillor


To vote in any election you need to be registered to vote. To get on the electoral register contact the electoral services at Durham County Council or visit to download a  registration form. You can register to vote when you are aged 16 years or over but you need to be 18 or over to vote.

To vote in a parish or town council election you need to be a British citizen, Irish citizen, European Union citizen or citizen of a Commonwealth country (including Cyprus and Malta).


As a councillor you can become a voice for your community and affect real change. Councillors are community leaders and represent the aspirations of the public that they serve. Parish and town councils are the most local part of our democratic system and are closest to the public. Why don’t you stand for your local parish or town council and see what difference you can make to your local community?

Am I qualified?

Most people are. However there are a few rules. You have to be:

• a British citizen, or a citizen of the Commonwealth or the European Union, and

• 18 years or older on the day you become nominated for election

You cannot stand for election if you:

  • are the subject of a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order
  • have, within five years before the day of the election, been convicted in the United Kingdom of any offence and have had a prison sentence (whether suspended or not) for a period of over three months without the option of a fine
  • work for the council you want to become a councillor for.

See Become a Councillor for more information.

All about Town and Parish Councils.  You may find this publication helpful.